Guidelines for Creating and Uploading Art
We want to ensure that the art you upload is of the best quality so that you will be pleased with the way it is produced on the SilverGraphics products that you choose. Please follow the Guidelines below to the best of your ability!
- Paper Proportion: For best results, all artwork should be proportioned to 9” x 12” and can be either horizontal or vertical. Suggested sizes: 8” x 10”, 8 1/2” x 11”, 9” x 12” and 11” x 14”.
Color and Materials: Completely cover the paper with color, minimizing white space. Paint, markers, oil pastels and paper collages are all very effective.
- What to Draw: Use art from your school lessons, get ideas from our Art Resources for the Virtual Learner or create art on your own: a self portrait or family portrait, your favorite animal, what you want to be when you grow up, the choice is yours! We accept only original artwork. We are unable to reproduce trademarked items such as Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse, etc. Keep important elements at least 1/2” from edge of art. Slight cropping occurs on some products.
There are multiple scanning apps that will scan art at the best quality possible as well as cropping and editing any glare:
- NOTES that comes with your iPhone: click here for Notes directions
- GOOGLE DRIVE that comes with your Android phone: click here for Google Drive directions
- PHOTOSCAN by Google (for both iPhones and Android phones): click here for PhotoScan directions
If scanning or using an app is not possible, or you prefer to photograph the art, please follow these guidelines:
- Lighting: Take the photo in a well lit area. As you look at the artwork, notice if the lighting is consistent and whether you see any glare or shadow. Natural lighting is best. Otherwise, ensure that lighting is well balanced. Do not use a flash for indoor photography as this often results in glare.
- Framing & Positioning: Lay artwork on a neutral, flat space (table or floor) and square to the camera to avoid distortion. Fill the view finder with the artwork while taking care not to cut anything off.
- Grid Option: If possible, use the Grid option on your phone. On the iphone go to Settings > Camera > Grid. On the android you can download an photo editing app. This can really help to get a photo with straight edges.
- Crop your artwork: Using your camera editing tool, crop the art so only the art is showing and none of the background from the photo is left.
- Resolution/File Type: Take your photos at the highest/largest possible resolution your camera will allow. Make sure file size is between 500 KB and 3MB and the file type is JPEG or PNG. You can resize images here. Most images taken on a phone are the correct resolution, also the iphone gives you the option to choose the resolution you upload. We do not accept PDFs. If you need to convert a pdf file to a jpeg, you can read how to do so here.
SilverGraphics Studios, Inc. | 920 Albany Street, Schenectady, NY 12307 | 866-366-5700 | [email protected]